Targeted awareness campaigns lead to major declines in child labour in Kusungu and Dowa.
Malawi, 2006 – 2010
Project: Integrated Child Labour Elimination Project (ICLEP) II
Duration: July 2006 – July 2010
Implementing Partner: Together Ensuring Children’s Services, Creative Centre for Community Mobilization, Total Land Care, Nkhoma Synod Lifeline Malawi
Location: Suza and Katalima Education Zones in Kasungu and Dowa Districts
- The prevalence of child labour declined from 57% to 19%.
- Five teachers’ houses were built, four houses were renovated, and 12 school blocks were renovated.
- 26,000 children and 13,000 families learned about child labour through awareness-raising campaigns.
- The prevalence of water borne diseases was reduced by more than 75%.
- Farmers were organized into associations to access high-value markets for their products.
- And much more. See below for even more positive results from this project.