Village child labour committees thrive in Masindi District.
Uganda, 2008 – 2009
Project: Elimination of Child Labour in Tobacco Growing in Uganda (ECLTAU) (Transitional phase)
Duration: July 2008 – July 2009
Implementing Partner: Budongo Forests Community Development Organization (BUCODO)
Location: Masindi District
- 3,780 children—2,058 boys and 1,722 girls—were withdrawn from child labour.
- Enrolment levels remained stable throughout the 12 months of the project.
- The number of farmers with knowledge of the law prohibiting child labour increased from 36% to almost 80%.
- Building construction was completed.
- Masindi District Local Government donated land for the KVTI and incorporated KVTI staff into its payroll.
- And much more. See below for even more positive results from this project.